-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Monday, August 15, 2011

Creatures of the Deep

To create the ocean, I mixed sand with translucent embossing paste.  I divided the mixture in half and colorized each half with different colored alcohol inks (green and blue).  To create waves, I applied each of the colorized mixtures to the card using a popsicle stick in a swirling motion.  Once the mixture was dry, I used the tip of my finger to lightly brush cream acrylic paint on to the highest tips of the waves to create the appearance of foam.  The ship is a rub-on transfer I created using Grafix Rub-Onz transfer film.  The maps at the top of the card are made of vellum.

12 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Laura Sweetie...
A beautiful share. My gosh, I simply LOVE this creation this morning. Your ocean looks so real, and 3-D. Just beautiful.

Love this rub on transfer as well. I will be going to the site and checking it out. Thank you for sharing this morning.

Many hugs, Sherry

Anonymous said...

This is great! I love all of the beach/ocean themes of late. This piece made me smile the moment I saw it :) I never even thought about colorizing texture paste. Thanks for the idea!

Unknown said...

This is just totally AWESOME! What a wonderful job you did! WOW!
XXX
Becky

Seahorse Ranch Girl said...

Fantastical. The Kraken is spine tingling. Those waves are inspired. Love the effect of vellum. Your steampunk creation is delightful from the top down.

Netty said...

Oh wow this is fabulous, such great texture. x

bobbie said...

Love the texture work!!! And the giant critter!!

Elaine A said...

Laura -

This is such a wonderful dramatic piece! I love it. You got such amazing detail with the water - AWESOME BRAVO!!!!

Elaine Allen

Createology said...

You have really created depth and dimension with this technique for the water and waves of the ocean. Love the maps, ship and of course the creature of the deep. Wonderful week to you...

Sarah said...

Even Jules Verne would stamp his approval on this creation. Very, very imaginative and just downright awesome!

Angie said...

Laura, I love antique nautical themes. (I confess that I love everything you do). Your use of vellum and other media elements is always so inspiring.

Thanks for sharing!

Gina Peake said...

I envy the way you try so many different techniques. Somthing I have not done. As usual...it's amazing.

Kris Dickinson said...

This is just too cool for words!