-->

Welcome

I love answering your questions. If you ask them in the comment section, I have no way to answer you (if you haven't heard from me, that is why). If you use the "EMAIL ME" in the left column of this page, I will be able to respond to you. You can also use it if you want to be added to my newsletter. Laura

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Steampunk Corset Dress

I’ve been working on so many “pretty” projects lately I decided to do a steampunk-themed one to get the taste of pink out of my mouth.
The top of the dress is made from 2 sets of chipboard corsets.  I used two so that I could make the dress 3-D.
On the back of the two pieces of corset, I used a piece of tape to join them.  I did this for both sets of corsets.  I used a tissue paper texture technique to cover the corsets back and front (click here for the video tutorial).  Don't glue the pieces of the corset together as you need a little give in the centers when you bend them slightly to attach the two sets together.  After applying the tissue paper, I stained them with Vintage Photo stain and then applied some Inca Gold Gilders Paste.  I thought the finished result looked like worn leather.
The black piping on the corset is stickers.  The stickers work great as they are pliable and you can apply them along a curve.  I used silk ribbon to lace up one set of corsets.
The shoulder straps are made from braiding 3 pieces of wire.  I used filigree butterflies (that are easy to bend) to attach the two corsets together.  
To make the dress I used beaded lace and velvet fabric (from my stash) and black tulle. 
Once I finished adding all of the embellishments and fabric, I mounted the dress onto a stand made from gluing together wooden candlestick holders.  I painted them black then highlighted them with Gilders Paste.  The holders are the perfect size to fit between the corsets.
The final touch is the ray gun perhaps used to deal with unruly aliens.  It’s made from clock parts from my stash, a fuse, and a domed apothecary bottle.  

19 comments:

Anne said...

I love this! How very creative and clever. The ray gun is amazing! Anne, yourmainestamper

Createology said...

I am enchanted with well done SteamPunk and this is extremely well done...right down to her ray gun! Creative SteamPunk Bliss Dear...

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL piece. FANTASTIC!!! Karen.x

Ink Art Designs said...

OMG...this looks absolutely amazing!
Dot x

Kerstin F. said...

wow,soo fabulous! Great Steampunk look!! Kerstin

claude said...

very bautiful

Nancy Wethington said...

Brilliant!

Theresa said...

This is WAY cool!!! My favorite? The ray gun!!!! SO CREATIVE!!! love it!!

Unknown said...

Fabulous Laura!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Absolutely amazing, imlove your ray gun and how,you attached the bodice together. An inspired piece of art. Tracy x

Kaye said...

Absolutely delightful!!

Anya said...

An amazing, beautiful work of art! The ray gun is way cool!! Thanks for the tutorial and inspiration.

Seahorse Ranch Girl said...

Laura this is delightful. You are so original in your concepts. This is definitely not pink...it's punk. Hugs, Charlotte

Margie said...

This is amazing Laura - you are quite brilliant! Margie

Unknown said...

Stunning piece! Not just the ray gun either!
Thank you'd for firing up my creativity! :)

SueB said...

I stopped in my tracks when I saw this one. I just had to see and read all about it. What a fantastic creation! An exceptional design, even if it isn't pink. haha. Thanks for sharing all your work with us!

Karen Mallory said...

You just get better and better!! I love this corset!
hugs Karen

Georgie Horn said...

the ray gun is extraordinary!

Cocofolies said...

I'm speechless Laura... It's totally awesome! and so so SO BEAUTIFUL... How do you do that? It really looks TRUE!! Fabulous dress!!! Hugs, Coco xxx